Friday 22 May 2015

A walk in the woods

The morning was overcast, but mild and not windy. I headed up to North Cliffe woods, which looked beautiful with carpets of Bluebells and drifts of Greater Stitchwort. Bugle was in bloom too. A Garden Warbler sung well hidden in a tall oak and I only got fleeting views of this and another individual later in the morning. I noticed little holes on the path, and then surprised a mole on the path itself, which tried to run away from me as fast as its short legs took him, which was surprisingly fast. The dry, compacted ground on the path appeared to have prevented it from going underground, but it finally disappeared in the long grass at the side of the path. It was my second live mole ever!
 Near the heath area a male Whitethroat was in full song and I heard the call of a Great Spotted Woodpecker.
A couple of brief sunny spells brought some butterflies out, including two Peacocks, a Speckled wood and a Large white and Green-veined white.
I walked inside the woods, where the most remarkable bird sightings were a Marsh Tit, a female
Blackcap with nest material and the laugh of a Green Woodpecker. A humming noise alerted me to the presence of an active honeybee hive inside a dead tree. A pair of robins were very agitated, but I couldn't spot the source of their distress. I was hoping for a mustelid, but failed to see any signs.
 I returned to the heath area. As I sat down on a bench for lunch a distant male cuckoo called three times, what a great sound. A Buzzard soared over the heath, while a Carrion Crow had me under surveillance the whole time I sat there. A lovely trip to the woods.

The mole, climbing the middle of the path.
Bugle 
A battered large white
Green-veined white
Peacock
Click beetle
Click beetle about to fly off
Bird list
  1. Black-headed Gull
  2. Blackbird
  3. Blackcap
  4. Blue Tit
  5. Buzzard
  6. Carrion Crow
  7. Chaffinch
  8. Chiffchaff
  9. Coal Tit
  10. Cuckoo
  11. Dunnock
  12. Garden Warbler
  13. Great Spotted Woodpecker
  14. Great Tit
  15. Green Woodpecker
  16. Jackdaw
  17. Long-tailed Tit
  18. Mallard
  19. Marsh Tit
  20. Pheasant
  21. Robin
  22. Rook
  23. Skylark
  24. Swallow
  25. Whitethroat
  26. Willow Warbler
  27. Woodpigeon
  28. Wren
  29. Yellowhammer

No comments: