Sunday 9 April 2017

River Hull. Stage 7. Weel and Grovehill

A warm day with a South-Westerly breeze I drive over the river by Weel or Grovehill Bridge, with a narrow single lane. The stage, a short one skirts Beverley between Figham and Swinemoor. I start the walk on Weel, a small village with a single access road, protected from flooding by a metal embankment. I walk on top of the embankment to make the most of the view. A Small Tortoiseshell and a Peacock butterfly go past.
A few long boats and abandoned barges are tied to jetties on the west bank after Beverley Beck lock, from where I couldn't find a public right of way. Grovehill is an industrial state in Beverley, but on the other side of the river there is farmland and a couple of Skylarks were in full song. As I stand on Weel Bridge, a Swallow flies by, just my second this year.
 As I see the flat expanse of Swinemoor with its pools, a couple paddles by on their kayaks, which looks like a very fun way to going up river (top shot).
The village of Weel and its embankment, looking east.
A large patch of Marsh Marigolds.  
A friendly pony tethered to the bank comes to greet me. 
Singing Linnet. 
Weel Bridge. 
Looking SE from Weel Bridge.
Towards the end of the stage. Swinemoor in the background.
Hovering Kestrel near the recycling centre.

No comments: