Sunday 3 September 2017

River Hull. Stage 13. Brigham and North Frodingham Beck

A warm day with light cloud and a soft breeze, I get up early to take on the next stage of the river Hull. River bank between the metal footbridge at Emmotland and Corpslanding bridge is not a public right of way, although the river itself is accessible by boat. I had tried to hire a boat from North Frodingham, but in the end it wasn't to be. Plan b was to walk along the footpath by the main tributary of the Hull, Frodingham Beck and the stretch of Driffield canal from Brigham. I added also a walk from Brigham to Corpslanding, which allowed me at least to look at the river from the bridge.
 I start on the swing bridge over Driffield canal at Brigham. Driffield canal is navigable, but I only see a couple of canoes all day. There are also a few sailing boats moored on the canal. The area being flat and exposed despite being inland makes it possible to sail. Other than following a straight course the canal looks very wild, with plenty of marginal vegetation, including Reed sweet-grass, Marsh woundwort and some Himalayan balsam.
Driffield Canal.
Carder bee feeding on Marsh Woundwort
Driffield canal with Brigham in the background, perched atop a mighty of 20 m of altitude.
I was expecting a wet walk on long grass, but the farmer had some cows feeding on the bank, so it ended up being easier until Emmotland.
An ichneumon wasp, Pimpla sp.
The area is prone to flooding, and is crisscrossed by wide ditches. The cows are on the background on bank of the river Hull.
Wheatear.
I look longingly at the grazing cows, who can walk on the Hull riverbank where I'm not allowed.
Emmotland farm on the left, and the metal bridge on the junction between Frodingham Beck and the river Hull.
Water Forget-me-not.
On the way upstream the sun shone in brief sunny spells and several butterflies, especially Red Admirals, came out to feed on a patch of creeping thistles. I flushed a pair of Snipe from a wet patch on a field.
Small Tortoiseshell.
This is the point where Frodingham beck joins Driffield canal.
Frodingham Beck with North Frodingham in the distance.
There are a couple of ponds in the fields, one of them is surrounded by trees and this Grey Heron sat on one.
Steps on the gate welcoming the walker.
Common Darter.
I get back to Brigham and take on the next stage of today's trip, Corpslanding bridge. A Mistle Thrush rattles flying away onto a tree. Flocks of loafing gulls, including many Great Black-backed gulls rest on the ploughed fields. The walk is over a small rise in the land. In the distance, I see a ribbon of trees flanking the river, the closest to a gallery forest I've seen by the river.
A bridleway cuts across a wheat field towards the river.
As I get close to the river, I walk by a flowing, clear water stream that runs parallel to it. I flush the fleeting turquoise arrow of a Kingfisher, and a little later, two Wood Sandpipers, which fly away alarm calling.
Flowing stream by the river Hull.
A lone Swift feeds over the white poplars and willows
Corpslanding bridge, made of railway sleepers.
This is the view of the river upstream from the bridge.

No comments: